is anyone actually doing Windows on XO work here?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:50:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Christoph
> Derndorfer<christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe I missed it before but I'm really very surprised that this is the
> > first time I'm hearing this angle of the story in such detail. IMHO it
> would
> > have made a lot of sense for OLPC to say exactly what Mitch wrote here
> when
> > the Microsoft s*** first hit the fan in May 2008.
>
> Ummm. ISTR public statements saying _exactly this_, though perhaps
> with less technical detail. Everyone was blinded by the "OMG MS!"
> effect that nobody actually applied neurons to the situation.

These statements might have been made but very obviously OLPC and the
aligned community (incl. myself) didn't do all that great a job of
explaining what was really going on to the general public otherwise we
wouldn't be in a situation today were a lot of people including many FLOSS
enthusiasts still look at OLPC as having sold out to Microsoft in May 2008.

Around that time, I spoke in various public events and relayed exactly
> that message. Some people understood the intent.
>
> That you don't know doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed...

Hence why I wrote "Maybe I missed it..." ;-)

Anyway, crying over split milk doesn't really move us forward. Let's learn
our lessons for the future and get back to work.

Christoph
--
Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews