Performance hit while working with screen depth 16

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 13 08:56:01 EDT 2009

Consider what might happen if power is removed while the xorg.conf file
is either (a) edited to your satisfaction, or (b) half completed.

In the former case, the unit will persist in behaving in the manner that
you have adjusted it to.  The impact will be unknown.

In the latter case, the unit may not start the X server, because of an
incomplete xorg.conf file, and may require reinstallation.  I've tested
this, and the result is text console output:

(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
No screens found

I've also just tested several activities at depth 24, and they seem
slower, by a second or so, to start up.  I used two laptops side by
side, one in 24 bit depth, one in 16 bit depth.  In particular Measure,
Moon and Browse.  Once started there didn't seem to be much difference.

I suggest at a minimum you should make the configuration file change
atomic.  You should also prepare code that will undo the change on
reboot.