user-space XO hardware detection

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jul 10 16:16:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 11:20 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> It's getting more and more important to be able to detect XO hardware
> from userspace. One can no longer assume that Sugar implies XO because
> Sugar runs elsewhere and because non-Sugar is getting common on the XO.
> Considering the 1.5 hardware, assuming that Geode implies XO is not
> going to be reasonable either.

In the XO-1.5 builds, and the latest XO-1 builds that I have made
locally based on the 1.5 work, we have enabled the smbios and are now
using DMI for detecting XO-1 vs XO-1.5 vs other computers.

You can read the info from /sys/class/dmi or from HAL. On XO-1 you need
"setup-smbios" in boot.fth at the moment.

Daniel