FIltering out languages via kickstart

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jul 10 16:08:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 21:58 +0200, Alexander Boström wrote:
> I'm completely ignorant regarding how translations work even in plain
> Fedora and even more so for the OLPC systems, but pray tell, why can't
> these translations be shipped as regular Fedora updates?

Because we have no way of distributing such updates that is suitable for
deployments.

Also, for various reasons, many deployments run software that is no
longer maintained. All of the XO deployments run sugar-0.82 on Fedora 9
but nobody is doing releases of that any more.

OLPC has historically done releases every 6 months, and usually as it
happens, the deployments receive the releases before creating a
sufficiently sized translator team, so the translations come later.

And in the past, only OLPC could make and sign builds. Now deployments
can do this too, but it remains to be seen how realistic this is in the
field. Unfortunately, a lot of deployments do not have the resources or
know-how in order to do this.

Daniel