New kernel branch for XO-1 and XO-1.5 development

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Jul 9 20:59:29 EDT 2009

john wrote:
 > >                                                         Given that
 > > we are building the for completely different CPU core, we will need
 > > different kernel RPMs to make sure our kernel is optimized for the
 > > given machine.
 >
 > Optimization is one thing; functioning is another.
 >
 > Fedora *functions* on just about any x86 system you boot it on.  A
 > Fedora kernel with OLPC's patches should also *function* when you boot
 > that kernel on any x86.  Including XO-1 and XO-1.5.

i suspect we all agree that this is the right longer term goal,
modulo the space and performance constraints on XO-1 that you
noted.

shorter term, fedora doesn't have many (most?) of our
platform-level changes (even for XO-1), so we're constrained to
shipping a "custom" kernel.  plus, no immediate release for the
XO-1 is even on the drawing board.  so, while we're trying to
keep the kernel differences for the two boards neatly segregated,
and hopefully in a way that it can all someday be turned into a
runtime decision, it's not a runtime decision right now.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org