XO-1.5 A1 HDA issues

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jul 1 08:16:21 EDT 2009

G'day Daniel,

While you're in the code, consider the possibility of headphone socket
electrical damage rendering the headphone detection incorrect.

I was in the HDA conexant driver late last year creating a hack to
compensate for a system that was damaged ...

http://quozl.linux.org.au/2008-12-19-hp-present/

If the headphone detection feature could be accessed from user space,
this hack would have been unnecessary.  I don't know how likely this
problem will be on XO 1.5 ... but if analog input is still an option
there may be a way for the kiddies to break things.

A hack like this could change a "no audio from speakers" laptop into a
"speakers do not turn off when headphones used" laptop ... reducing the
need for a return or replacement.