XO-1.5 A1 HDA issues

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Jul 1 07:57:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 13:17 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking into the sound issue where we could not record any
> audio from Linux on the XO-1.5 A1.
>
> I now have it working. I have observed a few low-level sound issues
> though. Many thanks to Tony Vroon for some helpful input here.

Conexant pointed us to this driver which includes support for a lot of
new conexant codecs:

http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/alsa-driver-linuxant-1.0.19ppch12-1.noarch.rpm.zip

I converted this into a patch for 2.6.30:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20090701/linuxant-cx-codec-support.patch
and tested it:

- Internal speaker automute now works, but autounmute does not work
right (I have to manually tweak some switches in alsamixer after
unplugging headphones to restore sound through internal speakers)

- Volume range is still silly, but we know how to quirk this

- Mixer arrangement is a bit better (i.e. only 1 capture mixer) but
there are all kinds of new switches, allowing us to configure 8
different ports for line in/line out/microphone/headphone, we can change
the gain on the microphone inputs, etc.

- My test board has incorrect microphone wiring so I am not testing
external microphones at this point.

On Friday I will work on this further, adding an xo-1.5 profile in order
to hide all the excessive switches and simply give them the right values
when headphones/microphones are plugged in or unplugged.

Daniel