[Testing] Notes from an impromptu 8.2.1 Release Mtg.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 30 19:25:41 EST 2009

> I still don't understand which version you are comparing to. Can't you
> just go to the control panel and check?

That only gets me the currently installed version.  It takes a while to
switch back to older versions.

Let me try again.

I'm using WPA, version 2 on a Linksys WRT54GL running their stock firmware.

In the past few weeks, I've had 3 versions of software on my XO.

I started with os759 from last Sept.  I think that is what was released.
Most of the time, when I power up or Restart, it connects automatically.  I
have to reboot a dozen times to get a case that fails.

I could time the reboot process by starting a ping to my XO, rebooting the
XO, stopping the ping, and computing the lost packets.  There was no human
activity in that process.

A while ago, I tried the software that was announced in the message that
started this thread.   That's what I called 1352.  It came from:
  http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/xo-1/streams/staging/build9/devel_jffs2
That directory contains:
  xo-1-olpc-stream-staging-build-9-20090106_1352-devel_jffs2.img
which is what I installed.
That web page says:
  OLPC Build staging-9 (devel_jffs2)
Looks like I should have called it build 9.  Sorry for the confusion.

I've never seen that connect automatically.  Most of the time, it worked when
I poke the icon.

A few days ago, I tried build 25.  For me, it acts just the same as build 9
(1352)

> What is wpa.sh and why do you have to use it? You do know that the OS
> supports WPA out-of-the-box (although unreliable with some APs),
> right?

It's a shell script that sets up the crypto stuff.  I think it was announced