Backlight control

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at
Thu Jan 29 14:11:49 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:10, John Watlington <wad at> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2009, at 5:18 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, John Watlington <wad at>
>> wrote:
>>> What can I call from an activity (in python) to indicate that the
>>> backlight
>>> should be turned off ?
>>> I'm playing with a photoframe app, and want to have the ability to
>>> deliberately
>>> control the backlight level from the UI.
>> See
>> src/jarabe/model/
>> Marco
> Thanks for the pointer.
> When using those functions I receive the following error message:
> RuntimeError: To make asynchronous calls, receive signals or export
> objects, D-Bus connections must
> be attached to a main loop by passing mainloop=... to the constructor
> or calling dbus.set_default_main_loop(...)

Is it an activity? Activities shouldn't need it, but you can see how
the DS sets a main loop for dbus-python to use:

> It seems like a code fragment was missing from the file,
> and in my particular application, I wouldn't mind if those calls were
> synchronous --- how do I do so ?

All the func calls in that example seem to be sync, and there's no
signals neither. So perhaps what raises that issue is

I can imagine how that setting may require a loop, but in your case I
think you can drop it.