Backlight control

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Sat Jan 24 10:07:03 EST 2009

tomeu wrote:
 > On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 15:50, Marco Pesenti Gritti
 > <marcopg at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
 > > On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM,  <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > >> but if ohmd is going to be in the middle, then the published
 > >> api for requesting those changes should be more transparent than
 > >> requiring every application be in python and have knowledge of
 > >> dbus.
 > >
 > > There is no python dependency and I personally have no problems with a

right -- there's only a python dependency in that when someone asks
"how do i change the brightness", they're pointed to python code.  :-)

 > > dep on dbus. Leaving aside technical considerations about dbus, pretty
 > > much everything in the desktop land requires it these days (and ohm is
 > > heavily based on it afaik). It's not worth to resist the flow ;)

perhaps that's true for dbus.  but it's too much of that thinking
that makes the current XO distributions as slow as they are.  :-/

btw, in the code marco pointed to:
    http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/blobs/master/src/jarabe/model/screen.py
it looks like there's a missing assignment to _ohm_service (i.e., to
save the connection so it doesn't need to be recreated each time).  am i
mis-reading?

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org