[Sugar-devel] Journal integration for Scratch

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Mon Jan 12 11:04:11 EST 2009

This is something I've briefly discussed with Marco in the past.  It
seems a natural extension of the idea of "objects" as first class
citizens of Sugar to allow those objects to have custom icons and
identities.  Right now, we have no such support.

The most natural way (at least for me, as a Mac user) to visualize
this idea is in the form of type/creator associations, by which an
object would be assigned the icon for type t as defined by its creator
c. This scheme is nice because it makes the effort on the part of
activities rather simple (most importantly, static): define your set
of icons and the mime-types the represent within your activity bundle,
and the system will always apply the correct icons.

However, it seems this can't work for Sugar.  I suppose we could
simply allow an activity to assign an icon to a given object at will,
as you mention.  It might be the best way to achieve a similar effect,
albeit with more effort on the part of activities.

- Eben