automatic reminder of 'software update' when installing a new build

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jan 10 03:15:41 EST 2009

>>> That's exactly as it is supposed to work. G1G1 lists dev versions,
>>> G1G1/8.2 the stable versions tested with 8.2.

I did say 'o.k.' to this explanation (speaking for myself).

But the point I am concerned about is that there might be thousands
of XOs out in the field whose owners I presume have not bothered to
upgrade to 8.2.  Such owners might still want to look at the wiki.

WHERE are they supposed to look to determine whether a "newer"
version of an Activity is available for their (e.g., 657) builds ?
[Their builds are __older__ than 8.2.]

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_updater#Activity_groups explains:
> "the unsuffixed version of the group URL will always contain the latest
> versions of the activities for the very latest build".

When such people (whom I describe above) acquired their XOs, they
were told these were "G1G1".   But [as this thread describes] now
the "unsuffixed G1G1" URL lists versions of Activities presumably
meant for builds __newer__ than 8.2.

See the potential confusion for some viewers ?

mikus