status of OLPC project

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Fri Jan 9 13:25:22 EST 2009

Victor & Scott -

Sorry - I made a comment about this on an earlier email, but I just
realized that that message wasn't sent to the devel list.

Scott's quite right.  I firmly believe that whenever possible a layoff
is handled with a face-to-face conversation with your manager.  It
isn't fun for either party, but you don't duck that job.  Because of
travel and other schedules, some folks didn't have those conversations
until yesterday afternoon and I actually didn't have my very last one
until this morning.  No one wants to learn they've lost their job
through a public mailing list.  And in addition, some people would
like the opportunity to communicate the news to their friends, family,
and colleagues on their own terms rather than having me announce it
for them.

This week the people being laid off are my #1 priority, and I need to
spend the time to make sure everyone else at OLPC does whatever we can
to help.  Next week I can help communicate things more broadly to the
wider world.

	- Ed