Cleaning cloned images [was: Re: Customized images]

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Jan 7 02:39:06 EST 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, James Cameron wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:18:28PM -0500, Erik Garrison wrote:
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> An entry is added here for every new network interface by MAC address.
> An image booted on several systems ends up with several different lines
> here.  Network interface for the embedded wireless may not be eth0, but
> this does not appear to cause any *major* difficulty, except I saw
> someone reported that it does not reassociated after suspend.  I suggest
> removing all the eth lines when cleaning.

I've run into this one before (in other systems) it associates a interface
name with a mac address on the theory that you don't want to have a
physical interface change it's name if you plug a new NIC into the
machine.

it has the unforunate side effect that if you replace a NIC the new one
gets a different name than the old one (replace eth0 and you now have eth1
in what is otherwise an identical machine)

I would suggest that for the XO with a single (wireless) NIC and external
USB wired NICs, the best thing to do is to just trash this file every
bootup/shutdown so that the names of NICs don't change based on what was
plugged into the system in the past.

the only reason I don't suggest changing the udev rules to not use this
file (other than the maintinance issue of forking the rules), is that
there may be some value in this to make sure that USB NICs get re-used in
the same order through a suspend cycle.

David Lang