Cleaning cloned images [was: Re: Customized images]

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 6 21:23:00 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:18:28PM -0500, Erik Garrison wrote:
> ... /etc/alsa/asound.state ...
> Ok.  First this appears to be just one file, an alsa state file, which
> must be written to by alsa during the first runtime.

During shutdown, "alsactl store" writes this file.  A cleaning script
need only remove the file.  The defaults are then used, which are
reasonable.  Or just restore the original file.

> /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1 xo-0D-69-70.localdomain xo-0D-69-70 localhost

A host name.  Derived from the MAC address of whatever eth0 is, IIRC.

This used to cause xauth problems, way back.  Not sure if it still does.
When the image is booted again on a new system, the name used here is
different.

> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

An entry is added here for every new network interface by MAC address.
An image booted on several systems ends up with several different lines
here.  Network interface for the embedded wireless may not be eth0, but
this does not appear to cause any *major* difficulty, except I saw
someone reported that it does not reassociated after suspend.  I suggest
removing all the eth lines when cleaning.

> /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub

I remove or regenerate this.