9.1.0 Schedule (Was Re: Fedora Desktop on XO)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 18:27:26 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I don't mean to be nasty, but I do feel the need to be blunt:
>
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 04:28:36PM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> We are definitely behind where I would like to be at this stage.
>
> How far behind?

I work in an environment where products are always shipped on time.
We are given a deadline to finish the project, which is usually a few
months before the product actually ships.  We have to finish the
project by this deadline, and we believe it.

Privately, the management team knows the real date the product must be
finished by in order to be manufactured in time to coincide with
marketing pushes, holidays, etc.   As we reach and pass our first
deadline, we are given new drop dead deadlines and we believe them.

Absolute honesty in scheduling is not necessarily a good thing.
Another way to put it is, you don't win a war without losing any
battles.

Adding big, scary features to 9.1.0 without stop-shipment level reason
just because you know you are going to miss it anyway seems like a bad
idea.  Regarding filesystem choice, I would lean towards trying to
enable swap on JFFS2, or eliminating the need for swap by choosing a
lighter setup or enforcing RAM usage restrictions on program startup
and adding RAM exhaustion warnings to the UI.

Best,
-Wade