Fedora Desktop on XO

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 17:41:31 EST 2009

Hi Michael,

No problem being blunt.

I don't know yet how far behind we are or what it will take to catch up.
We are close if we create a target bug list in the next two weeks then
start daily triage and weekly test blitzes.

Quality is my primary concern, especially if you throw in a lot of new
code and potential process changes with Sugar.

Once we get building and testing, it will be a matter of code quality
and how quickly can we fix important bugs.

On the feature front, my main concern is security/activation/lease
management features. Point #2 here:

Good progress on signing delegation and faster imaging. However, lease
management and image customization need some love. They are critical for
Ethiopia and Peru and others.

In short, we have a good chance to release with major new features in
March. We just need to pick up the pace and keep people focused.

In terms of the thread, Deepak said that a replacement for JFFS2 is not
in the plan for 9.1.0. I agree. It needs more work from a test/design
perspective and it needs better definition of the ROI (work effort vs

The choice of file system isn't a deal breaker for the Fedora Desktop
feature. The hard part will be picking the right desktop (more on that
soon, I already love the dancing benchmark bears :-), making it fit on
the NAND, and testing it enough to prove its usable.

Greg S