Fedora Desktop on XO

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Tue Jan 6 17:31:10 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:54:24PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 06.01.2009, at 22:34, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Carlos Nazareno wrote:
> >
> >> Guys, maybe this can help. I whipped up a flash CPU benchmarking tool
> >
> > Currently, we are assuming that the issue will be RAM consumption, not
> > CPU.  I personally have no reason to expect either system to behave
> > differently in terms of background CPU overhead or cost of common
> > operations.
>

> At 25c3 I bumped into a guy from LXDE. It's said to be a lot lighter
> on resources than even XFCE. Unfortunately I did not stay long enough
> to see it run on the XO, but maybe someone else did already?

My impression from playing around with it is that it's significantly
less polished than Gnome or XFCE.  Polish takes time, users, and
development... it just seems that LXDE hasn't had enough yet.

You can just look at the age of the projects:

  GNOME  1999-03-03 (initial release)
  XFCE   1996 (project start date)
  LXDE   2006 (initial release)

[dates pulled from Wikipedia]

As far as I know all these projects have been under development
continuously since their inception.  Two, GNOME and XFCE, have had
extremely large user bases.  It does not seem that LXDE has.

Erik