DebXO 0.4 stable enough to travel with

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 10:34:19 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:00 AM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> I perhaps foolishly brought an XO running debXO-0.4 as my sole laptop
> during a multiweek European trip.  Midway thru that trip, I am pleased
> to report that it is stable enough for reasonable use, at least in my
> application (ssh, web, and random downloads of pdf's, mp3's, ogg
> videos, etc).  See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO .

I run something similar on my XO when I'm using it.  For developing, I have
stock 8.2.0 on a SD partition.  My setup is F9 based and using the Awesome
window manager.  It's certainly nice to be able to 'yum install xyz' and
have it just work.  I can certainly relate to feeling like my XO has become
a 'real' laptop.

Sugar has a ways to go before it's effective as a normal user's desktop.  I
found the Gnome NM applet vs 'bobbing for access points' analogy
particularly amusing.

Cheers,
Wade