Why not use swfdec-mozilla? (was Re: Installing Flash on the OLPC)

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 03:46:52 EST 2009

Hello everyone,
(top-posting due to tangent nature of discussion)

Just a thought here, in my experience, swfdec[1] works far better than
gnash for flash websites; why not use that? There's a Firefox/Gecko
plugin called swfdec-mozilla which works beautifully.

swfdec{,-mozilla} use gstreamer, are LGPLed, and support most of the
Flash 9 features whereas gnash supports only a few of the Flash 9
features. swfdec is also the default Flash player on Fedora, and is
the preferred flash player on Ubuntu.

Were there some specific problems with using swfdec? Or was it not
under consideration due to some factors?

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan