question about how to re-flash the XO

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Feb 28 21:22:15 EST 2009

>> Suppose I have a file 'foobar.img' on an USB stick.  On an unsecured
>> XO, I'm at the 'ok' prompt.  What is the difference between using
>> 'copy-nand u:\foobar.img' versus using 'update-nand u:\foobar.img" ??

My question regarded an unsecured XO -- I have /security/develop.sig
on the (install) USB stick.  Seems like there is no difference then.

> copy-nand performs a simplified non-secure update that uses "foo.img"
> and "foo.crc" as the source file.  It just blasts the raw data onto the
> NAND, block by block.

I've been using (as written up) 'copy-nand' to install Chris Ball's
rawhide-xo images (which consist of xxx.crc and xxx.img on stick).
[Showed a single area of green squares, then an area of blue.]

> update-nand performs the secure update procedure that uses "fs.zip" as
> the source file.  It supports creating partitioned images via the
> command mechanism defined in
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OFW_NAND_FLASH_Updater

I was able to use (as written up) 'update-nand' to install Andres
Salomon's debxo images (which consist only of xxx.dat and xxx.img on
stick).   No file 'fs.zip' in sight.  [Did show an area of blue
squares between two areas of green squares, then the remaining blue
area.]

mikus