8.2.1 activity launch failure not recorded

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Feb 23 20:03:51 EST 2009

On 23 Feb 2009, at 22:27, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

> I had the RoadMap Activity installed on my 800 system.  I just
> updated (via manual 'sugar-install-bundle') to the latest version.
> Now it does not launch.
>
> The fault is likely to be mine - I either goofed the "manual"
> install, or should not have applied the latest-and-greatest to
> 8.2.1.  Nevertheless, I expect that when an Activity fails to
> launch, there would be some sort of log made to help the user find
> out what went wrong.  As far as I can tell, __NOTHING__ whatsoever
> got recorded about the launch failure.

Yes Mikus, you've noted the long and much HATED quick and dirty code
hack that makes the launching animation almost purely time dependant.
It closes after N seconds, or if it gets a message to say the activity
actually launched. There are even some activities that launch faster
than the pulsing launcher can get it's knickers untwisted, leaving you
looking at a pulsing icon for the full N seconds even through the
activity is already running in the background! To be frank it's a
pretty shocking code quality indictment, but I'm sure there must be
some really unpleasant implementation issues in getting this right.

The activity logs (for me) usually show the failure pretty instantly,
so I can switch away from the throbbing icon and back to vim to fix my
code (usually some careless typo) and re-launch pretty quick – but
still annoying.

--Gary