Guidance sought on collaboration techniques

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri Feb 13 11:42:03 EST 2009

Wade,

Thanks for pinpointing the code I should look at.  I printed out the
whole thing yesterday, and there's a lot to it.  It does look better
commented than the other stuff I've been struggling with.

Just FYI its View Slides where I mean to put the collaboration stuff.
Read Etexts currently works just like the Read activity for
collaboration.  When another user joins the activity he gets a complete
copy of the book.  This actually works better in Read Etexts than in
Read, because text files are smaller than PDFs, and because my Activity
actually saves the book in the Journal when you receive it, whereas when
I last looked Read did not.  Where I still have problems with Read
Etexts in terms of collaboration is:

1).  When the book is shared the person joining sees the title of the
book.  However when the book is saved to the Journal it is given the
title Read Etexts, not the title of the book.  I know how to change the
title in the Journal entry, but not how to get the title of the book
being shared.  Read seems to get this from metadata in the PDF.

2).  When I resume a book that I got from joining the book will be
downloaded again if it is still being shared, even if there is no need
to do so.  Also, the book I am resuming will be shared, even if I don't
want to do that.  Once you start sharing there seems to be no way of
turning it off.

The interest in Read Etexts is for its text to speech feature, not
sharing.  With any luck I'll get them both working.

Thanks,

James Simmons