OLPC upgrades

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:49:29 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM, <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> We can skip the "build a replacement" step, and head for the goal faster.
>>

> the entire sugar infrastructure is a 'build a replacement' step. people are
> questioning if it was the right thing to do as opposed to using existing
> tools and infrstructure. (with the other part of the question being is it
> faster to go ahead and try to optimise Sugar or switch to more mature
> solutions)

I don't think you can correlate 'mature' with 'fast'.  Gnome is quite mature
but also quite bloated.

The XO is a weak machine by today's performance standards, so trying to run
today's Linux is going to require heavy optimization no matter what you
start with.

People just have to stop arguing about it and start doing that optimization
work, like Benjamin did today :)

Cheers,

Wade