OLPC upgrades

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Tue Feb 10 17:44:43 EST 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> 2009/2/11 Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com>:
>> I have spent the last 10 years optimizing software for a living, and can
>> tell you without a doubt that any system can be optimized without starting
>> from scratch.
>> It's just much harder to understand the performance characteristics of a
>> large, complex, existing system than it is to imagine an ideal performance
>> world in your head.
>
> +1 on both. Experience teaches that performance comes from
> understading and optimising a complex system. If you build a
> replacement system, it's initial performance _will suck_ until you
> study it, understand it and optimise it.
>
> We can skip the "build a replacement" step, and head for the goal faster.

the entire sugar infrastructure is a 'build a replacement' step. people
are questioning if it was the right thing to do as opposed to using
existing tools and infrstructure. (with the other part of the question
being is it faster to go ahead and try to optimise Sugar or switch to more
mature solutions)

David Lang