My first newbie question

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Feb 6 12:01:13 EST 2009

2009/2/6 Tom Wilson <twilson650 at yahoo.com>:
> Hi there. I'm trying to get set up for Sugar development/debugging to see if
> maybe I can contribute. I saw in the wiki that there are difficulties with
> Mac OS X 10.5 - is that the case? I have VMWare Fusion, so I can set up on
> virtual Fedora or Ubuntu (I take it Fedora is the preferred OS?). I'd rather
> do it in my native OS, so I thought I'd check with the group before
> proceeding.
>
> Okay, I'll go back to lurking now (at least until I'm in a position to
> actually do something :)

Hi Tom,

do you want to hack on the Sugar shell or only in a new activity of you?

If the former, I recommend that you go the sugar-jhbuild way. Both
Fedora 10 and Ubuntu Intrepid are well supported, but other recent
distros also should work with more or less tweaking.

If the later, just install Fedora 10 and then install the sugar
packages. You can run sugar in sugar-emulator and code and test there
your activities.

And you are most welcome to join us in sugar-devel and the irc channel
#sugar in Freenode.