staging-27 issues (was Re: Notes from an impromptu 8.2.1 Release Mtg.)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Feb 6 04:48:44 EST 2009

On 06.02.2009, at 05:40, S Page wrote:

> I updated from 8.2.0 build 767 to staging-27 with
>   `sudo -v -v -v olpc-update staging-27`
>
> and it all went very smoothly!

Same here.

> * Software update offered no new activities (I had ran it the day
> before
> on build 767).

It had some for me, and even after updating there were two more
bundles to be installed. I could not yet test again today since the
wiki is down.

BUG: It did not find the 8.2.1 specific Etoys activity release at

	http://etoys.laptop.org/xo/8.2.1

Possibly because /etc/olpc-release still says "8.2"?

(not a severe issue for etoys since only minor changes happened in the
activity vs. the rpm)

> Build '27' is confusing, especially when "About my XO" doesn't show
> your
> release or stream (Trac 8260).  I updated the "What release am I
> running?" wiki page to mention this stream.
>
> In Sugar control panel > Language, "Swedish (Sweden)" was highlighted!
> Sure enough, in the bash shell, LANG is set to sv_SE.utf8.  I'm pretty
> sure I never chose that, and other settings like Date & Time were
> unchanged.  Has anyone else noticed Language changing?

Mine remained set to German as before the update.

> Why didn't Software update install the newer Browse (v.101 ?) that
> according to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.1#Bug_fixes
> addresses
>  ticket #9112 Enable Browse to embed PDF files in itself
>

> A few minor things
> ------------------
> I see a [Discard network history] button in the Network panel, I
> didn't
> notice this before but I think it was in 8.2.0.  The 8.2.0 manual
> http://www.laptop.org/8.2.0/manual/XO_Troubleshooting.html should
> mention this.
>
> In the Home view ring view, when I hide the frame (by moving away
> from a
> corner or pressing the Frame key), the very edge of the frame flickers
> white a few times.  I didn't notice this before.
>
> Please please create Trac version "Build 767 (8.2.0)" (Trac bug 8904).
>
> Cheers,
> --
> =S Page

Overall in my brief testing so far I did not see issues, in particular
the updated etoys packages appear to work as fine as usual ;)

- Bert -