Service announcement scheme - (Re: [Sugar-devel] A small request.)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Mon Feb 2 21:47:04 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:13 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at> wrote:
> 802.11s is not simple, nor safe.

lol. That's right.

Now, you are talking about DNS-SD without mDNS. Spent some good time
reading up on both, and DNS-SD sounds good for what we're trying to
do. Everybody uses them together, however, and all the nice libraries
(avahi and friends) make no distinction between the two.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong docs - so pointers welcome.

If I'm right, however, we can still write our own simple dns-sd client
"glue" and a abuse named on the XS.

> Please concentrate on plain 802.11 networks for now.

It's not so black-and-white . Whatever its status right now, 802.11s
is still an important consideration.

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- School Server Architect