Alternative to Create a new wireless network

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Dec 8 01:04:23 EST 2009

I thought the reason we have this change at the moment is that we have
tracked the change done by Sugar development upstream, between 0.82 and
0.84 ... and we have chosen not to merge the XO-1 specific changes we
did for 0.82.

Today during a simulated training and assessment (for my training
certification), I used four XO-1's with build 802, and after being
powered up they automatically became aware of each other through their
mesh network.  I don't see this happening at the moment with XO-1.5 with
build os54.  Are you, Reuben, also concerned at that loss?  We should
probably put something about that in release notes.

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:04:52PM -0500, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
> If randomly set, how do we avoid channel overlaps and interference.

OpenFirmware has a method to detect channel use and avoid it, and it is
used in the NANDblaster feature on XO-1.  Avoiding overlaps and
interference is not difficult to code, but it is unlikely to work as
well as getting a human to make the decision.  Decisions made by humans
deliver a cognitive bias in favour of the decision.

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:37:03PM -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> > Since we've run into problems with creating ad-hocs networks on the
> > XO 1.5
>
> I believe these tickets deal with the consequences of having long
> *names* for systems, rather than with whether ad-hoc networks *can* be
> created on the XO-1.5.

Agreed.  Apart from those problems I've found no current issues creating
and operating ad-hoc networks on XO-1.5.  Sharing activities is a
different matter; #9669.

> To me, having three icons (to save an extra click) needlessly clutters
> up Neighborhood View.  I would much prefer having a single icon (which
> dynamically shows the number of the channel to which the hardware is
> tuned at this instant), together with (while establishing a connection)
> a palette to allow the user to explicitly indicate (if he wants to) the
> number of the channel on which he wants his XO to be active.

Agreed.

But I'd also like to see the previous UI restored, even though it won't
map to XO-1 semantics, nor even interoperate with the XO-1 network.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/