Alternative to Create a new wireless network

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Dec 8 00:37:03 EST 2009

> Since we've run into problems with creating ad-hocs networks on the XO 1.5

I believe these tickets deal with the consequences of having long
*names* for systems, rather than with whether ad-hoc networks *can* be
created on the XO-1.5.

> I believe it is clunky to have children create their own
> networks..Who designates who creates the network?

If two children want to look at a book, but there is only one copy of
that book, I believe the children will eventually solve the problem of
"who gets to turn the page".

> To ease all of this and maintain a similar UI, what if we:
> -Create three faux "Mesh Channel #" icons in the Network view

To me, having three icons (to save an extra click) needlessly clutters
up Neighborhood View.  I would much prefer having a single icon (which
dynamically shows the number of the channel to which the hardware is
tuned at this instant), together with (while establishing a connection)
a palette to allow the user to explicitly indicate (if he wants to) the
number of the channel on which he wants his XO to be active.

mikus