1.5 - gnome-packagekit?

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Mon Dec 7 19:54:50 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 19:13 -0500, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
> Since .XO and .XOL bundles were specifically designed to be "safe" for
> installation and removal, I'm concerned the inclusion of gnome-
> packagekit would allow one to more easily break their installation but
> I also think it would be nice for children to explore the rest of what
> Fedora has to provide.
Perhaps this is something for Zeroinstall  http://0install.net/ .
ZeroInstall allows for installation of software as a user so you can do
things without making system level changes.

I'm working on a setup for the XO that can give you a custom
environment. The entire thing goes into $HOME. I uses Zeroinstall to
grab everything as needed, even the window manager.  In practice the
bundle comes with the window manager but that is merely as a pre-filled
zeroinstall cache entry.

Because everything is done at the user level, it is very hard to break
things, but it still allows users to have a great deal of flexibility
with their system.