Camera saturation - image compression level

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at
Thu Dec 3 09:26:49 EST 2009

Bastien wrote:
> - shots of the moon are often saturated: how to reduce the gain
>   of the camera?  Ideally one would like to do this manually...

I never figured out how to control the gain from software.

> - is there a way to take pictures with a higher resolution?  the
>   default compression level doesn't produce great pictures.

Yes, sort of.  Last year I figured out a way to capture and reconstruct
the raw data from the camera using a higher quality demosaicing algorithm.
 The process is documented here: