Candidate "paper cut" bugs for a new 8.2.x release?

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sun Aug 30 15:26:16 EDT 2009

Hi!

I do not know what was the conclusion about this _completely
hypothetical_ case but does fixing the Geode VGA driver match the "paper
cut" criteria?

Since I am porting (very slowly since 2 months ago I did not know
anything at all about the Linux boot process for example) Android to the
XO-1 there were some display errors. Android uses FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO to
flip (and not blit!!!) between two frames in video memory and without a
patched Geode FB driver it causes a very awful flicker since the Geode
FB driver turns off the video output then sets params then turns on the
video output. Similar flicker can be seen on the XO when Sugar wakes up
from a frozen DCON so possibly my fix would be applicable here as well.

If fixing the driver is desirable then probably I could fix the other
Geode driver bug, the video overlay fuckup during wakeup. My little
question is this: does anybody know how and where the sleep happens? Is
the video output turned off in the FB or the X driver? Is the FB driver
used at all when the X driver takes control?

ps:
The attached file is not a patch but a VERY ugly "fix" for trying... :)
Of course I will create a normal patch which can be pushed upstream but
only if it is needed...