Fwd: Gnash loves the Via C7

Rob Savoye rob at openmedianow.org
Mon Apr 27 11:02:09 EDT 2009

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> The XO-1 has hardware-accelerated XVideo, including YUV->RGB and scaling.
>  Are you talking about hardware acceleration for the internal stages of
> video decoding, a la XvMC?  Tests on a 1.0 GHz C7-M (the processor in
> XO-1.5) indicate that software-only rendering should be fast enough to
> play DVD-resolution video and audio.

  Sorry, I wasn't quite clear, it's the existing XO hardware that has
problems with streaming video when done entirely via software. A 1.0Ghz
C7 is fast enough for software rendering of streaming video, but 400Mhz
seems to be a threshold for software rendering of networked video. Both
the C7 settop/NetBook I have here have Unichrome support (OpenGL), which
helps for "YouTube".

	- rob -