please post comments - 801 failed to connect to AP

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Apr 21 22:52:54 EDT 2009

Met with some XO owners at an establishment.  The location had a
multitude of APs (the most sensitive XO saw more than a dozen) -
most of them locked.  The establishment itself had an open AP to
which none of the XOs were able to connect - probably because
nm-tool showed that AP to be on channel 8.  A "free" AP (from some
adjacent location) could also be heard (no WEP, no WPA) - nm-tool
showed it to be on channel 1.

My own XO (running 801) had connected to that "free" AP when I
visited some days ago -- as far as I could tell, today it
immediately re-connected when I booted it.  But the XOs of two other
persons (both running 801) were unable to connect when the icon for
the "free" AP was clicked on in Neighborhood view.  The icon pulsed
and pulsed, then eventually gave up.  What I thought was strange was
that when Frame was called up when the icon in Neighborhood view was
pulsing, the palette shown in Frame (on the icon there for that
attempted connection) initially indicated 'channel 1' -- but soon
said 'channel 11' instead.

----

Two questions, please, to help me try to make sense of one XO able
to connect to that "free" AP, but the other two XOs not able:

(1) Could the wireless interface have switched from channel 1 to
channel 11 ??  [If the "free" AP was actually on channel 1, that
could be a good reason for not being able to connect to it.]

(2) This was an environment where no users wanted to run mesh.  Yet
the mesh icon in Frame also eventually pulsed (sometimes alongside
the pulsing icon for the wireless connection attempt).  Was there
anything a user could do to deactivate mesh, but leave wireless
available ??  [Even issuing 'ifconfig msh0 down' did not help -- the
mesh icon in Frame would come back (presumably triggered as the
system gave up on the wireless connection attempt).]

Thanks,  mikus