was not able to escape from Object Chooser

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Apr 18 20:52:05 EDT 2009

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help.  I am describing something I
encountered which in my opinion is overly restrictive.

I'm running the latest rawhide-xo .img on my XO.  I had manually
installed Browse-108.  Happened to access a webpage which showed me
an 'entry field', into which I intended to enter the URI of a file
on the XO -- then that file would be uploaded by the website.

But as soon as I moved the cursor to that 'entry field' (and clicked
to cause future keyed-in characters to be directed to that field),
the Sugar 'Object Chooser' popped up, asking me to select something
__from the Journal__.  I did not want to supply anything from the
Journal -- I wanted to supply the filename of some data in directory
/home/liveuser.  I could *not* get past the 'Object Chooser'.

I resolved this impasse by abandoning the use of 'Browse', and
instead accessed that page from my XO with 'Opera' -- then it all
worked the way that I was expecting it to.

In my opinion, forcing me to use 'Object Chooser' was upsetting.

mikus