GPS on XO

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Apr 7 02:16:02 EDT 2009

> I can't figure out how to get 45F9-9E44 out of that.  Maybe it's a hash of a
> long string.

I have *not* explored all the ins and outs of removable device
identification.  I have, however, cussed at them long enough to
develop some "rules of thumb":

  -  The '45F9-9E44' is an 'UUID' (you might Google for an
explanation).  The UUID appears to be assigned (written as part of a
specific-format record on a specific hidden track) when the thing it
applies to (normally a partition) is _formatted_.  I believe the
8-hex-character version gets fashioned when something like a DOS
partition is created (e.g., by the factory that produces an USB
stick), whereas the 32-hex-character version gets fashioned when
something like a Linux filesystem is created.

  -  The Linux CLI command 'ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid' will list the
storage devices seen by the operating system as having UUIDs.
[I find this command invaluable in clarifying which device got
'automounted' where onto "placeholder" directory '/media/'.]  The
advantage of this command is that it lists the devices seen, even if
those devices have not been "mounted".

  -  A shorthand CLI command to see the filesystems (including VFAT)
"known" to the operating system is 'df'.  [A more convoluted list
gets produced by the CLI command 'mount'.]

mikus