Announcing Fedora 11 Beta for XO

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sat Apr 4 08:48:25 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:13:36PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Here's a build of the F11 beta release for XO:
> >>
> >>   http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/f11-beta/
> >>
> >> Instructions on flashing are at http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/.
> >
> > How does this relate to the recent SoaS builds?
> >
> > I am trying to organise a test effort on Thursday, and was planning to
> > target the latest SoaS on XO hw. Is this newer? Older? More
> > XO-specific fixes? Less?
>
> I'm not sure what release of Fedora SoaS is based on.

F11/rawhide.

> From the Fedora perspective this is the latest beta release

Is this statement meant to be equivalent to "this is the latest F11
beta"?

> It has all the latest Sugar stuff in it but
> has no specific XO fixes in it. EG it doesn't have the XO specific
> kernel patches in it which I assume SoaS does.

Soas does not, nor does
http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/f11-beta/ .  I can't speak for
the intentions of either "distro"s in the future.

Please recall Soas is targeted at more than XOs...I would assume that
the OLPC distro is more likely to include XO-specific bits than the
Soas distro.  But now we're both assuming, rather than asking.

> It would be great to get some testing done on it if possible to see
> what the issues are with it. I've been meaning on taking a look at
> SoaS to see what the differences are between that and rawhide but I
> just haven't had the time to do so yet.

They're essentially the same right now apart from the choice of
desktop environment.

> Peter

Martin