[sugar] Tagged Journal Proposal

Eduardo H. Silva hoboprimate at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 17:46:32 EDT 2008

Scott, I thought you came to the conclusion that there was no use for
ordered tags. What changed your mind? Was it the abilty to browse
hierarchical systems with the Journal? I also thought you came to the
conclusion that turning directory names as tags alone worked. How
would the results be different if you searched for:

a/b
a b
b a

?

I imagine it's your idea of having the journal be able to browse
hierarchically external devices, and the current filesystem above
/home/olpc/Journal ?

I love your idea of showing tags along side the journal entries.
Clicking them would add them to the current search. Of course, there
would be a limit to how many are shown for space-sake.

As to Ivin's point that he brought this ui design to pentagram in the
past, and it was rejected for being too complicated, I don't
understand why they thought that. Having meta-tags (a tag which
collects various tags, akin to dynamic virtual folders) and tags
visible on the left would make:
The most popular tags visible
Tagging could be done by dnd object entries to the left-sided tags
Clicking on the tags would add them to the search

This seems like an easier taggin Journal to use, since tag management
isn't "hidden" on the detailed view only. And if need be, the left
tags pane could be toggled on/off by some 'tag' button.

I hope Eben takes a look at your ui proposal and give it his Sugar
love and polish to it :)

Eduardo
Eduardo