[sugar] Tagged Journal Proposal

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Sep 23 17:57:29 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott, I thought you came to the conclusion that there was no use for
> ordered tags. What changed your mind? Was it the abilty to browse
> hierarchical systems with the Journal? I also thought you came to the
> conclusion that turning directory names as tags alone worked.

I would drop them if I have to, and I don't expect them to be used
often, but I think having the 'escape hatch' is useful.  The only time
they really show up is when you're importing content from an existing
legacy device.

I don't expect there to be much difference in practice between
browsing "Activities/GCompris/Math/Easy" and "Activities GCompris Math
Easy".  And, in fact, the unordered tags might make the "Activities
GCompris Easy"  search easier to find.

So, I've changed my mind from "ordered tags are absolutely vital" to
"ordered tags could be useful in edge cases".  Since it's my proposal
I'm drawing up, I threw them in. =)

> How
> would the results be different if you searched for:
> a/b
> a b
> b a

No difference in the last two.  The first search would only find "a/b"
not "b/a" or "a b" or "b a" -- but it would also return "a/b/c" and
"c/a/b" and "a/b c", etc.

> I imagine it's your idea of having the journal be able to browse
> hierarchically external devices, and the current filesystem above
> /home/olpc/Journal ?

That's there "where" icon in the top bar.  Where = Journal
(~/Journal), NAND (full filesystem), USB, SD, etc.

> As to Ivin's point that he brought this ui design to pentagram in the
> past, and it was rejected for being too complicated,

If the kid doesn't use tags, then a lot of the busyness goes away.  I
expect that Activities would probably still come tagged as
"Activities"; that and "Trash" would be the only thing in the
left-hand panel.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )