py -> pyc issue

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 22 17:32:00 EDT 2008

I'm running 760. I just edited ReadEtextsActivity.py to change the font
to serif (I've done this before in other builds).

I then ran ReadEtexts and the change didn't show.

I removed ReadEtexts.pyc and ran. ReadEtexts fails to launch. The bottom
of the log says:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py
100 module = __import__(module_name)
module = undefined
global __import__ = undefined
module_name = 'ReadETextsActivity'

ImportError: No module named ReadEtextsActivity
<<<

If I just cd into the ReadEtexts directory and 'python
ReadEtextsActivity.py', python exits after a while after printing the
message 'Speech not supported' which indicates that ReadEtexts was in
fact executed.

Shouldn't we be able to just run a .py file?
Shouldn't the presence of a newer .py scrag an older .pyc?
Shouldn't something be creating .pyc files?
What happened?
What would happen if some kid tried the same thing?

I assume this is a bug, but what should it get entered against?

Bob