build 8.2-760, Read activity and ebook mode - how to make them work together?

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Mon Sep 22 05:48:30 EDT 2008

> In any case, I brought this idea less due to the customization idea,
> and more due to the expressed desire to have a list of available
> keyboard shortcuts.  It sounded like you were proposing a system by
> which they appeared all at once -- as hovering bubbles, perhaps? -- on
> screen contextual to the control they related to.  That sounds
> interesting, but extremely complicated to do. On the other hand, it
> might not be too much to generate a list of those available somehow.
> Did I misunderstand what you were saying?  Thanks for any
> clarification.

Actually I did not think that far ahead... :)
My main problem was that there was no way (at least there was no way I
have known about) to change tabs on the toolbar. (I will use Windows
slang here since I am not a Sugar programmer yet.) Since the exit button
is on the Activity tab which usually has no useful function for me (I
only used to read stuff on the XO), every time I have to exit, I have to
click on the left side for the Activity tab, and then click on the right
side for the exit button (which is a very bad design IMHO). Reading a
big pdf file is similar since zooming and jumping to a page is on
different tabs.
For the first problem I think there is an accelerator key (Ctrl+Q?) but
every time I use it, I forget next time I start the application.
For the second problem it would be good if there would be some shortcut
for the "menus" (tabs on the toolbar). It would make the toolbar similar
to the ribbon control from M$ but who cares?
Now if somehow somebody would implement those thing there is the next
problem which is that I will forget every accelerator/shortcut promptly
so there should be some way to show them to my face.
> Perhaps the list is revealed upon press of alt or ctrl (of course
> filtered appropriate to the modifiers pressed), instead of in a
> palette.  Of course, then you have the problem that you might want to
> alt-click on something, or alt-drag something, and such a window could
> get in the way.  I'm not sure the best way to go about it, but let's
> keep ideating around it. It sounds promising.  For it to work well,
> we'd have to have a way to detect all available accelerators,
> probably, so the activities don't have to set it all up on their own.
> I'm not sure how that would work either.

My thinking was that every function is accessible from the toolbar, so
every accelerator should have a button, and every button should have a
hint (with the accelerator in the text). So all I was thinking that if
somebody presses the Alt key it should underline the shortcut letters in
the "menu" text (the text labels on the toolbar tabs), and every time
somebody presses the Ctrl key it should show all hints for all the
buttons for the active tab on the toolbar. All the available shortcuts
for all the controls should probably go to the activity's documentation
IMHO.
Now for the Alt+Click and Ctrl+Click problem: it should only show hints
when the Ctrl key is pressed for 2 seconds (or 1?) and the mouse cursor
have not been moving during this period. Moving the mouse would cancel
it. If you implement it then what would be very important is that this
"gesture" should be generated by Sugar so the application could handle
it as a key press (and should not need to measure time, etc). Also
Sugar/GTK should supply a simple method which would show all the hints.
Another idea: there should be some key to cycle the tabs on the toolbar
(Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab ?). It would be time to define the control
focusing behavior while changing tabs as well.