build 8.2-760, Read activity and ebook mode - how to make them work together?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Sep 18 05:59:42 EDT 2008

On 18 Sep 2008, at 06:55, rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:

> I have not seen any documentation on how to navigate in Read in
> ebook mode.
> I tried the various game pad buttons but have not had much success
> in navigating.
> I would like to be able to scroll from page to page in ebook mode,
> back and forth.
> Have the the buttons been implemented for ebook mode? If so any
> hints out there on how to make this work?

Testing Read-51 on an XO, the directional arrows pad scroll a pdf
about in steps (if you are zoomed in enough to have somewhere to
scroll to) – these buttons rotate to match the screen rotation (a nice
touch). The four other separate game buttons are, circle to page-up,
cross to page-down, square to zoom-in, tick to zoom-out.

However... you must first put focus on the document (clicking on the
page, or hitting tab a couple of times will do it). Hmmm, maybe this
is worth a trac ticket as it's going to catch folks out.

It's worth noting focus behaviour changes have happened in a bunch of
places (Journal being the obvious one), where navigation keys (cursor,
page up/down) will go to unintended*** toolbar buttons unless you
manually change focus to the scrollable area.

***for example I just accidentally set a pdf I have to share with my
neighboorhood while re-checking the game pad buttons. And as we all
know, for some bizarre reason you can never**** un-share an activity...

****actually there is UI a cheat/hack. Copy the offending activity to
the clipboard using Journal, then use the clipboard to keep it in the
Journal again. The new copy will be private, and you can just delete
the other.

--Gary