mechanisms tied to mesh: "under a tree" collab

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Sep 17 14:33:57 EDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:28 AM, John Gilmore wrote:

>> The problem comes from the OLPC marketing that equates "mesh" with
>> "collaboration" which in fact are two independent concepts. What the
>> UI displays as "Mesh Server" should be "Collaboration Server" - it's
>> only needed to mediate if the laptops who want to collaborate cannot
>> talk to each other directly.
>>
>> (and btw. you should *not* use olpc.collabora.co.uk anymore which has
>> been switched to a new protocol so you won't see anyone while
>> connected to that server)
>
> Sounds like two TRAC bugs -- the name, and the domain name.  Both are
> straight out of 8.2-759.  Will you file them?

I had already filed #8354 on the default presence server, and #8353
included
misnaming that field in the control panel.   As #8353 was marked a
duplicate of
another ticket which didn't include the misnaming, I fear a new
ticket will have to
be issued...   Thankfully Eben already volunteered.

>> As Benjamin pointed out, the sharing is *not* tied to the mesh. It
>> works just as well if both machines can receive broadcasts (for
>> discovery) and make TCP connections (for actual collaboration). This
>> works in a LAN or between two Qemu instances or even on the same
>> machine running sugar-jhbuild twice (useful for debugging).
>
> Then why can't my two XO's running 8.2-759, both connected to the same
> access point, see each other to collaborate?  Neither one shows up in
> the other's Network screen.  When I run Write on one, and enable
> sharing
> with My Neighborhood, that copy of Write pops up on its own
> Neighborhood
> screen, but never on the Neighborhood screen (nor in the Frame) of its
> neighboring XO.  Is this a third TRAC bug?

No, that problem is #8354.   If the access point has a connection to
the internet,
they were going to olpc.collabora.co.uk, which was running a broken
presence
service.   If you manually edit /home/olpc/.sugar/default/config to
remove the
default presence (ejabber) service, you should start seeing local
(simple WiFi)
collaboration again.

wad