mechanisms tied to mesh: "under a tree" collab

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 11:23:04 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Very interesting thread on the wireless, mesh and collaboration
technologies.

I think part of the discussion is a debate about what is the best
technology to achieve our goals.

In terms of what the goals are, I wrote a definition of what I think our
collaboration needs to do at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_Collaboration_Requirements

The requirements are focused mostly on scale but also touching on ways
people collaborate.

See also:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Collaboration_2
and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Collaboration

This will be an important focus of 9.1. Any additions, comments or edits
on the requirements are welcome. e.g. RF environment could use more
details and power consumption is not covered. John's bulleted list may
also be a valuable addition to the requirements if its not covered
already. Feel free to edit the page and sign your edits or leave a
suggestion on the talk page.

My questions for this thread are:
1 - Which technology can address all of these requirements?
2 - Which technology can get us closest in the next few months based on
the available engineering time and existing code?

I'm interested to know what people think is the right solution given
unlimited time and resources. I'm more interested to get agreement on
what we can nail down and promise as a working set of features usable in
schools when 9.1 becomes available in ~6 months from now. We don't want
to do a lot of work that we throw away later but we need to settle on a
usable set of features and capabilities that we can prove work reliably.

Thanks,

Greg S