mechanisms tied to mesh: "under a tree" collab

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 01:07:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  - under a tree using mesh+avahi,  and
>
>  - G1G1 users at a cafe with wifi using AP and avahi

When at a cafe with wifi, the laptops should be able to contact their jabber
server, which will mean they will be using telepathy-gabble (xmpp + central
server), not telepathy-salut (xmpp + avahi). These two ways of seeing other
laptops do not coexist.

This essentially means that as soon as your laptop is talking to the jabber
server, you are 'on the internet' and all peer-to-peer collaboration
disappears, you are only able to see those on your jabber server.

There is currently no UI for forcing 'salut' vs. 'gabble', the only way to
modeswitch is to be unable to contact the jabber server.

This means two laptops from neighbouring schools who each have their 'own'
schoolserver set up as their jabber server will not be able to share any
content if they are close enough to receive wireless signal to the internet.

--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
--Jonathan Lange