Feedback on 759 joyride

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sun Sep 14 23:19:59 EDT 2008

Hi Greg,

<quote who="Greg Smith">

> Thanks for the test results. You are making a contribution to the list
> lately, its much appreciated! One comment on dates.
>
> We try to always say: "dates subject to change". We could have done
> better communicating that on this case, but in general its not a hard
> date you can schedule your deployment on until very close to the end of
> the release. You should definitely ask for more detail (like you did)
> when the posted info is not clear or finalized.

Understand, we'd already delayed the trial several times, and now we have to
use 8.2.0 as it turns out videochat (which is necessary for this trial)
depends on libraries only in 8.2.0. So I'm a bit stuck atm.

> In terms of "can you use a pre-release signed image", I'll let Michael
> comment on that. My take is that we don't usually do that and it would
> not be supported (AKA if you find a problem the first answer would be:
> "please upgrade to the latest version")

I understand and wouldn't ask for support. It is better to have a slightly
more flaky but feature full setup for this trial than the older version
without the changes for videochat and the important changes to the browse
app which have resulted in pop-ups (for authentication) now working which is
also vital for my trial.

Am I able to make a pre-release signed image myself?

Cheers,
Pia

--
OLPC Australia                                           http://olpc.org.au/
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

        "Cowards die many times before their deaths." - Shakespeare