Stability and Memory Pressure in 8.2

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 05:31:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> I agree, because I also haven't seen a gradual decline, rather a sudden
> loss instead.

This weekend testing we ended up seeing _no_ OOM killer action. Odd,
as we did more testing. I managed to make my machine unusable
byopening several tabs in firefox but even then nothing tempted the
kill.

The previous round of testing we saw it twice, but could not reproduce
it. Both cases 8.2-759. The main difference I can think of is thatwe
were using Simple Mesh. One of the OOM killer crashes were during a
'maze' game played over the mesh.

I know - weakest bug report ever :-/

>    fprintf(stderr, "meow!\n");

> 3.  for quite a few seconds, nothing was happening on screen, the
> touchpad would not move the pointer, and the oom program was still
> working,

With FF I've seen several minutes of the machine unresponsive. From
that POV, I'd say that the OOM killer should be a whole lot more
active... as FF was not "growing", we never got to #4...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions