Speech to Text Support in OLPC

Guy Sheffer guysoft at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 12:03:13 EDT 2008

Hey,
On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 10:10 -0500, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:09 AM, satya komaragiri
> <satya.komaragiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > @ Assim and Chris: Thank you for your response :)
> >
> > I'll be really grateful if you could tell me what the current scenario
> > for Speech to text on XO is. And whether the OLPC cmmunity would be
> > interested in having a speech to text support
Speech recognition is a pretty hard thing to put in an OLPC, it demands
a lot of computation power. and you need to train a language model per
language, and you need basically a lot of different people reading text.

I tired getting one working in Hebrew using sphinx
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMU_Sphinx ), however it seems to be hard
because you need to read a lot of text in to the model, and even then
its hard to make it actually working.

If you still want to try getting this to work i suggest you read more on
sphinx 3 (the numbers are not versions, so make sure its 3). That's the
only open source system I know of that might get it work.
There are still theoretical limitations, like the more words you put it,
the higher the margin of error, and so on.

> Speech to Text would be of immense use IMO. I'm thinking of family
> members who cannot read or write. Imagine them being able to speak
> into the XO to send e-mails. This reminds me of a time when village
> folk would come to my grandmother's to get a [snail mail] letter read
> because they couldn't read or to write a reply by dictating it to
> someone.
>
> Or, imagine speaking into the XO and seeing the letters appear as you
> speak and being able to recognize the shape and form of basic and
> commonly words.
I hope to see that too! It would be a great thing not only for the
OLPC!, but to everyone!

> Speech to text would be awesome!
>
> Sameer

Guy Sheffer