Speech to Text Support in OLPC

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Sep 13 11:10:44 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 3:09 AM, satya komaragiri
<satya.komaragiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> @ Assim and Chris: Thank you for your response :)
>
> I'll be really grateful if you could tell me what the current scenario
> for Speech to text on XO is. And whether the OLPC cmmunity would be
> interested in having a speech to text support

Speech to Text would be of immense use IMO. I'm thinking of family
members who cannot read or write. Imagine them being able to speak
into the XO to send e-mails. This reminds me of a time when village
folk would come to my grandmother's to get a [snail mail] letter read
because they couldn't read or to write a reply by dictating it to
someone.

Or, imagine speaking into the XO and seeing the letters appear as you
speak and being able to recognize the shape and form of basic and
commonly words.

Speech to text would be awesome!

Sameer
--